Monday, June 1, 2009

Women's Conference April 30-May 1

So I grew up about 20 min. from BYU and never even knew some of the amazing programs that went on there. For example Women's Conference. I had not really ever heard of Women's Conference until this year. My Mom is the secretary for Sandra Rogers, the lady that is charge of putting Women's Conference on. Back in December, I think, my mom asked me if I wanted to go and thought to myself "I don't really know what Women's Conference is, but it is a great excuse to get away with no kids for a few days "so I told her sure. When the time was closer she told me I should invite some ladies from my ward to come down and stay at her house. There were 4 ladies that took me up on the offer. Mary Howell, Ashley Jones, Lynn Biggs, Michelle Miller and I all drove down to Utah together. Michelle stayed with her SIL while the other ladies stayed at my parents house. We had such a great time driving down together and back. What a special group of women they were.
The closing prayer for the first days closing session was given by my mom. Here is a picture of her getting the podium adjusted for her height, or lack of it. Just kidding Mom! You gave a wonderful prayer!I forgot to mention that since my mom was on the committee that put on Women's conference she was able to get one floor pass ticket for all 4 sessions. There were about 6 rows on the floor and I tried to sit on the second row, but they kicked me out and asked me to go to the back section. I did as they asked and then someone else asked me to move to the front row. Who am I to say no? I moved to the front row very middle. I had that same spot for all four sessions. I must have found my perfect spot because after that no one tried to kick me out. I felt so honored to be that close especially since there were over 16,000 people there. Wow! This is a picture of the people behind me. I didn't want to stand up and brag about where I was sitting so I turned my camera around and took this picture:All the classes where so amazing, but the part for me that was the most amazing was being so close to such wonderfully spiritual people. The second day morning session Julie Beck was the speaker. I was sitting in my usually spot when her family and friends started piling in around me. I was sitting right in the middle of her family. I kept telling them that I could move and they would say "Don't you dare". They were so kind! Julie had such a wonderful message and such a wonderful spirit.

I think I was too close because my camera wasn't working very well.

So for Women's conference they have a general session were everyone meets in the Marriott Center then we have 3 classes we can choose then a closing general session. After Friday mornings general session Mary and I tried to get into a class, but it filled up, so we wandered around the book store and bought Mint Brownies. Apparently that is what you do at Women's conference and after buying some and trying them I can see why. For the second class my Mom, my sister Stacey and I went to a class about Depression. We didn't really need that class, but it was taught by a good family friend named Karen Salisbury. She used to be our next door neighbor until both families moved away. We are still great friends though. She did such a fabulous job. I think my mom still owes her though because my mom is the one that nominated Karen to talk. Good call Mom! After class we brought Stacey home and I got to see here cute 2 year old daughter and there new house they just bought. When my mom an I got back to BYU it was during the last class and once the class starts you can't leave or enter, so we went to the hospitality room that is for the committee and important people. When we got to the room there were only 3 women there. My mom chose to sit by the one that was by herself. It just happened to have been Julie Beck, the General Relief Society President. We didn't talk because she was listening to one of her counselors give a talk. During the talk the BYU President came in and stood right next to me. So my mom and I were sandwiched between the BYU President and Julie Beck. Not back company if you ask me. Oh and they had mint brownies that we ate.

Fridays closing session we were so honored to hear from Elder L. Tom Perry who was accompanied by his wife and Elder Russel M. Nelson. Elder Perry was so much fun to watch. When he took his seat he wanted to see all the women so he had to block the bright lights.

I was so honored and humbled to be able to sit that close to them. They are such wonderful men and the have such a wonderful message and spirit.

This last picture is for my mom. I wanted to have her in a picture with the apostles.

During the last song we sang The Lord is My Light. During the song the women behind me started standing up. We then all stood up except those on the podium. Elder L. Tom Perry looked back and then they all stood up as well. Everyone started crying from being so filled with the spirit. I couldn't even sing. It was such a wonderful experience. I was so grateful to be a part of it.

Mom, thank you so much for inviting me and giving up your seat in the totally full class so that I could get it. It was worth the long drive and the lack of sleep. Thanks for opening up your beautiful home for my friends. We all can't wait for next year!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Seriously, Cheryl? You had never heard of women's conference? Wow!!! I've never been, but it looks and sounds awesome.

Stacey said...

Wow, you've really got to start doing posts more often and making them smaller. Too bad you had to go home so quickly after Women's Conference. Jules was happy to see you though, even if it was just for a minute. I didn't know what happened after you guys dropped me off. Pres. Samuelson held Jules when she was a tiny baby.